Monday, September 2, 2024

Classic Movie Mondays!~ Dangerous




Just a reminder that I LOVE Bette Davis! 😁 However, I was a bit disappointed in this movie. 

Bette plays an actress Joyce Heath, who is supposedly jinxed and can't get work anymore. So, what does she do? She becomes a raging alcoholic! 

Franchot Tone plays Don Bellows, a man engaged, but easily distracted by Joyce. 

The movie takes off when Don sees Joyce in a restaurant and lies to his fiance and friend, so they'll leave without him and he can talk to Joyce.

Of course, she is drunk. Don tells her how much he loved watching her perform and that she inspired him.  Joyce doesn't care, she just wants to drink. She does, and she passes out. 




Don takes her to his country home for the night to sober up. The next morning, he convinces her to stay there while he's in the city. He believes some time in the country without alcohol can help her. 

BUT... the two fall in love, and Don breaks off his engagement. 




Don's put money into a play, so Joyce can return to theatre and prove she isn't a jinx. Don's plans are falling into place until Joyce repeatedly turns down his marriage proposals.

WHY? They are in love! There's this little secret Joyce has-- a husband who won't give her a divorce. 




Joyce, desperate to marry Don, tricks her ex and asks him to drive to the country with her for the weekend. He agrees. On the way, Joyce threatens to drive into a tree if she doesn't give her a divorce. He says no, again! 😕

Joyce says, "It's either going to be your life or mine. If you're killed, I'll be free. If I'm killed it really doesn't matter. If we both die-good riddance!"

Joyce drives head-on into a tree, but her husband lives. She's devastated. 

Don rushes to the hospital to see Joyce, only to find out she has a husband. He leaves without seeing her. 

Joyce wants Don, but he returns to his fiance and marries. Joyce is left with an injured husband she doesn't love. She'll spend the rest of her life taking care of him. 


I DID NOT like the ending. I know it has to be this way because Don had to find out the hard way how "dangerous" Joyce really is. 

I hoped for a change in her, but I guess the ending had to fit the title. She truly was an awful person. Maybe not a jinx but self-centered. 


"I'm bad for people. I don't mean to be, but I can't help myself." Joyce Heath


Would I watch it again? Maybe?

It's not a bad movie, and it does have some good scenes, it's just not as good as her other films. 

 If you get a chance to watch it, I'd say go for it! 




No comments: