Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Where'd You Come Up With That? ~ Wednesdays!

I usually write these posts with one story in mind, but I'm doing things differently today. I'd like to write about coming up with ideas in general. 

If you've ever seen Ray Bradbury Theater, he says he'll never run out of ideas because he's surrounded by items that inspire him. (he's one of my favorite authors btw!)





This is spot on. A writer's brain is always in story mode, so anything a writer hears, sees, or even smells can trigger an idea. Sometimes it is just a title that comes to mind, and the story shapes around it. Other times it's an idea that has been done before, but needs a new twist. 

My short story, East of Omaha, was inspired by Bob Seger's song. "On a long lonesome highway, east of Omaha" That line made me think of hitchhikers, but it has to be a twist on the usual tales of picking up strangers. And the story has a different type of driver and hitchhiker encounter. One that ends up with some mistaken identity. 

My short story, Taste of Freedom, started with the title. I like the sound of it, but needed a story to fit. I had an idea for a story about a wife who goes a little berzerk. She goes to great lengths to get rid of her husband and literally gets her taste of freedom. (yes, there may be some cannibalism involved 👀)

Some ideas come from strange facts I've read. I have a title and story that came to mind when I read that a person can die from smelling farts in large volumes. 
The story I'm working on is entitled, "The Mason Jar Murders," and it's a crime/detective story. It is also a bit bizarre--as you probably guessed! 😂

Ideas pop up everywhere when a writer's brain is constantly in story mode! 

Happy Reading!




No comments: