Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Wheels Are Turning...

While I blame procrastination for not getting my books done on time, I also have to blame my overactive brain. I have several book and story ideas going on up there at the same time. I try to write down as much information as possible so I won't forget any ideas I've had, but sometimes one story or idea seems to push forward. Then, I have to start working on that instead of my current project. 

It's happening again! I keep thinking about a mystery story that could easily become as series, based on a character I wrote a piece of micro fiction about a few  years ago. This is the short-shorty story:


Detective Jeremy Jenkins spent forty years of his life solving some of the police department's most difficult cases, but the department forced him to retire. He could've had maybe ten more good years if it hadn't been for the car accident that left him paralyzed. The sixty-seven year old man now lives in a three room apartment with his companion, Chumpy, his pet monkey. Some say that old J. Jenks, as he was called by coworkers, has gone a little crazy couped up in that small apartment with a monkey, but they don't know Jeremy is still solving cases.

"That wraps up the case of Lady in Yellow. She is not cheating with the gentlemen in 425. I've discovered he is her brother." Jeremy closed his tattered old briefcase, rubbing his thumb across the gold engraving of his initials J.J. just like he had done when closing a case years ago. "Chumpy it's time to find a new case." Jeremy wheeled himself over to the window and watched the apartment building across the street. 

"Chumpy, my binoculars!" He snapped his fingers. 

Chumpy leaped right over to Jeremy with what he demanded, and perched on Jeremy's shoulder. "You see that boy? That man just threw a mysterious package in the dumpster. I think I found our next case: The Dumpster Delinquent. It may have been drugs." 

Startled by the microwave beeping, Jeremy dropped his binoculars. "Chumpy, my pasta dinner," He ordered, snapping his fingers. Chumpy rushed to the microwave, retrieving the bowl of pasta for Jeremy.

As Jeremy ate, he watched the alley to see if anyone came to pick up the package, but no one showed. The trash truck came and emptied the dumpster. "Another case closed, Chumpy. The package was ordinary trash."


I can't get this character out of my head, and I know he still has some detective skills in him to solve some real cases, even if by mistake. So, I may have to start writing what's in my head today, and finish working on Mermaid's Kiss tomorrow. All I know is I have to do something to get Jeremy and Chumpy out of my head so I can concentrate on other projects. 

Happy Reading!

No comments: