Saturday, September 8, 2012

Books and Movies- The Women of Brewster's Place



I don't know about everyone else, but I LOVE to watch the movie made from a book--after reading the book of course. :)

The Women of Brewster's Place by Gloria Naylor is not a novel I would have chosen to read on my own. I actually read it because it was required for a women's literature course in college. I loved the book and just recently came across the movie on television. I began watching it only to realize it is a long move--mini series, I suppose. Anyway, I had missed half of it.

I was disappointed, so what do I do? Go to Amazon and buy the darned movie. :) So, hopefully I find it in the mailbox soon. I am anxious to see if the movie makes me the feel the same as the book.

   Naylor does an excellent job of creating true-to-life characters, and I  became absorbed into their life and problems and actually cared about them. I think that is a difficult task in writing, making the character to true to life, so real, that the reader forgets these are fictional characters. In the movie Oprah plays Mattie Micheal, the main character, who is one determine lady--if you ask me. :)

I won't go into the details of the books, but Mattie's son, Basil, ends up being arrested and charged with manslaughter. His mother puts up her house as bail, which she worked hard to pay for, and he skips bail, leaving her without her home. Mattie if forced to move to a tenement where she is a mother figure to the other girls living there. Each lady has her own story and that is what I think makes this such a great book. The reader learns about each character and becomes caught up in their life struggles. If you haven't read it, I'd recommend it. Although, I don't know how well I'll like the movie version, yet. :)

Happy Reading!

No comments: